Sunday, November 11, 2007

Fashion District shopping

Well, I finally got to NYC to pick up some materials that I need to get. I always have such a hard time keeping my purchases to what I went there for! Over the last five years, I have accumulated the most awesome collection of beads so I usually don't need too much any more. I just have to "fill in" with the most up -to -date colors. I also have to keep my pearl stock current and supplied. I, personally, never buy pearls on line. I MUST touch them and see the shine etc. It is such an important part to me of what I do. How the beads feel is just as important as how they look. Here are some pictures of one of the bead warehouses that I shopped in. It is so colorful...and soooooooo many choices!

The amazing thing to me is that I can actually choose beads with no plan in my head and then create just the right piece with them! It is great fun! I can't wait to actually get down to work. I have so many ideas in my head and never enough time to create!

My two boys are off galavanting in NJ. This is the first time they have ever gone anywhere by themselves. They actually went on the train to meet some special friends they made last summer. Our family took a trip to Israel for my 13 year old's bar mitzvah. It was an amazing trip and they met so many great kids. A bunch of them met in NYC and went back to one family's home for the weekend. I miss them, but they will be home soon. It has made me realize how different things will be next year when Josh goes off to college...

My knitting is coming along. For those of you who are new here, I am making preemie hats to bring to the local hospital NICU. Here are some pix. Aren't they cute? It is so much fun. I'm trying to find more people to contribute hats. If you know anyone who knits, please pass my blog address along. I want to make a difference. The hats don't need to be knitted. They can be crocheted or sewn. Send them along and ask me any questions.

4 comments:

Bejeweled said...

I know what you mean about the pearls, I'm the same way with pearls and gemstones :)

Carrie S. said...

Oh, look at all those beads! What a pretty picture! Kinda like the fabric store for me!

And I had to laugh at the colors of your premie hat! Sorry! You know what I mean!

I made it to the end of my first skien and tomorrow hope to learn how to join the yarns! So happy with this knitting thing!

LStone said...

Carrie-
Funny, I didn't even realize! But I got ya!!!

I am thrilled that you are enjoying the knitting. I'm laughing out loud at your descriptions. Keep it up!

emily said...

I absolutely love pearls too. I got an amazing necklace and earring set from www.premiumpearl.com They are surprisingly affordable considering the excellent service and product.