Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Few Successes!

I have been on a quest to make the "right" chocolate icing for my Black & Whites. Nothing was going to stop me. I went to 6 grocery stores yesterday, trying to find Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder. I was convinced that this ingredient was going to solve my bitterness problem. I don't know why, but no one carries this product anymore. At my wits end, I ran in to a local bakery and tried to persuade the baker to tell me what I was doing wrong. He wouldn't help ;< I just wanted him to tell me what ingredient I needed to use ;) Oh well, I guess I understand.

He did give me a hint, though, and I took it and ran. I sent darling hubby out to bring home the chocolate bars and premium baking chocolate. The first one I tried was a hit! YEAH!!! I am so satisfied! The icing dries hard and it tastes wonderful, just like it should. The vanilla side came out perfect, too. I will let you all in on a little secret that I tried. I wanted the white to be nice and white, so I added a little of the food coloring from Wilton that whitens the icing. It looks awesome.

013

I had another order for Rugelah and for hand pies that I was working on as well. I am thrilled with the pies! The crust is sometimes hard to make just right and I am very happy with how it turned out. I like the round hand pies that I made this time. I might still go back to the crescent shape, but the round gives a bit more fruit to crust proportion... and it looks cute!

handpie collage

These hand pies have such great potential! I think they would look adorable at an outside wedding as a favor or on a platter. I'll take some pictures of them individually wrapped. I think that it would be wonderful to take to a friends for the holidays. You can order them in different flavors - an assortment pack!

And the rugelah taste better than you can imagine. Look how fluffy the dough puffed up. Thanks for looking!

017

No comments: