Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It Finally Happened!

cross

As you can tell, for many months, and even years, I've been searching for answers. I believe in life's journeys. I believe that we learn from our lessons. So I don't feel too badly that it has taken so long for me to find these answers. I have been reaching down deep for a path that both feels right and is not an uphill battle. I don't mean that I don't want to work hard. I mean that I need there to be market for my goods.

Being creative has been both a curse and a blessing for me. It has brought a strong desire that I can't deny, as well as a distraction that holds me back. I have said before that I MUST create. I don't know anything else. And I am lucky in that I can be successful in most anything I put my mind to learning. At the same time, I have tried so many different ideas that have not been successfully received, that it starts to feel wrong...and embarrassing, to boot!

After a long, drawn out attempt at marketing my jewelry, which I LOVE to make by the way, I decided to move on to another area. With the market in the dumps and people not spending money on things like jewelry, I decided to concentrate on baking. My cookies have always been received very well, so I put my efforts in to creating an Etsy shop and honing some new recipes. I also decided that I wanted to add icing cookies to my repertoire. I began researching and reading everything I could get my hands on. I studied every tiny detail and tried every recipe I could find. Still, there was something that was holding me back from just diving in to this new endeavor. I felt like I already knew what I was doing. I had recipes that I loved. I gathered all of the tools I would need. Yet I was intimidated. For 6 months, I have had it in my mind that I would be creating these cookies in the future, but I never found the courage to actually try my hand at this craft.

Along this journey, I met a friend. It's funny how things happen. I have never had a friend who is also creative. I've never known what it is like to relate to someone on my level of creative passion. Pretty sad. I've always felt like people thought I was "playing" while I was creating, while actually, I was honing my skills. It has been life changing, making a friend who has the same appreciations as I do. It has actually given me a new perspective on many levels. Thanks "C"...more than you know.

Elmo

Things happen for a reason. I got a request from a customer for Elmo cookies. My first thought was that I couldn't create a figure. It had to be discernible! But then I realized that I had to give it a go. The experience was eye opening and wonderfully freeing! Elmo actually looked just like Elmo! And do you know that another order came my way that evening for a large platter of Baptism cookies! I was on my way and will never look back! I am in love with this medium. I love to bake and the icing no longer intimidates me! I have a great feel for what I am doing and I just want to make more and more designs!

Baptism collage

I am so hopeful that I can find local customers so that I won't have to ship, but when need be, shipping is definitely is doable. I just hate the added cost to my customers. I need more customers, now, so keep the orders coming! I have so much excitement for this and am looking forward to creating my own designs as well as yours.

Hope to hear from you soon!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Wow, all your cookies look amazing!