Saturday, March 6, 2010

Make Your Own Fondant

I'm the kind of girl who likes to be self-sufficient...ie. I'm too lazy to run to the store every time I need something ;) And it doesn't hurt that it is so much cheaper when you make something yourself. Anyway, I wanted to share the fact that making your own fondant is simple as can be and tastes much better than pre-made fondant I'm told.

The three ingredients you need are:
1. marshmallows - mini is easier, but not required
2. water
3. confectioner's sugar
4. food coloring

I only needed a little bit of fondant to make some flowers for my cookies, so I just made a small amount. You be the judge of how many times to multiply this recipe by according to your project's needs.


The first step includes microwaving the marshmallows with some water. In a glass bowl, measure cups of marshmallows and add water. Microwave by 30 second intervals, stirring with a rubber spatula (this is a sticky venture!) in between, until no lumps are left.


The next step is to add sifted confectioner's sugar, all at once, and begin kneading. I would suggest using the spatula as long as you can. Then spray your hands with vegetable spray and get right in there! You can turn this out onto a confectioner's sugar lined surface to knead, but I just keep it all in the bowl. I guess larger amounts would need to be handled differently ;) Don't be afraid to spray your hands when needed.


Once you have kneaded your fondant nice and smooth, you can color it with food coloring. I do this in a ziploc bag so as not to get the dye on my hands. It is helpful to spray vegetable spray inside the bag first.


Once the color is well incorporated, it is ready to be rolled and cut. There are many specialized tools on the market, but don't be afraid to improvise. I have cutters, but I also use straws for circles, etc. It is smart to roll the fondant out on wax paper, or as I have, on a silicone sheet that is used to bake on. Be very careful not to cut the sheet with the metal cutters. I've learned that the hard way ;)




When you have cut out your shapes, let them dry until they are hard to the touch. It is better to arrange them so they will dry in a 3 dimensional shape - they look more realistic. I have an egg tray from a warehouse box of eggs that works wonderfully. Use your imagination, or buy one of the gadgets that are available for this purpose. You can store your pretties in a ziplock and I'm told they will last for months and months.

Have fun with your creations and most of all, have fun with your imagination =) Be adventurous and don't be afraid to try something new!

No comments: