Monday, March 8, 2010

Making Your Own "Cookie Cutters"

Since I am just beginning my sugar cookie adventures, my collection of cookie cutters is just beginning to grow. Creating the cookie shapes I want requires a bit of resourcefulness - something I love to do! Since I needed a sturdy piece of plastic, I decided to use a disposable take-out container lid. A good friend of mine had suggested that I save these just for that purpose ;)

To start out, make a drawing of your cookie. Make sure to make the outline nice and visible. I use a Sharpie to go over the final product.


Next, you'll need a sharp Exacto knife and a self-sealing mat to work on. Please be sure to work on this surface. You won't want to cut an apron shape onto your kitchen table!


Place your drawing on the mat with the lid centered over it. CAREFULLY cut the shape out. You'll probably need to push fairly hard with the knife until you have cut all the way through. When you are done, you can remove the shape that you have cut out.


Now you have a stencil that you can use to cut out your shape on your dough. Some people use what I call the negative, or the piece that you remove from the lid, to cut around. I feel more comfortable using the lid part to cut out my shape. It is more convenient to hold in place and I can see what I am doing more easily. I also find that working on a Lazy Susan is very convenient as you can turn your work around as needed. These are easy enough to find and I use it constantly. I would highly suggest getting one. I think Rubbermaid makes one and I've seen it for sale at Wal-Mart.

Tomorrow, I'll continue with my Apron cookie. I hope you check back! Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

valerie ann said...

Great post! Its very handy to learn how to make your own cutters when you can't find the one you want or if you want it right away and don't want to search high and low for it. Thanks!

Lisa Stone said...

I'm glad to pass on my tips! I'm so happy you stopped by!

mrs.huck said...

Oh this is great! I have heard, but not attempted yet, using the Cool Whip type lids are great for this too...seem like they might be sturdier...or does having it see-through help? Cannot wait to try your way!!